“Geniuses are born but leaders are made.”
If this saying is true, its good news for aspiring leaders. It means, even if you are not born with strong leadership traits, you can still develop into an excellent leader. Leadership skills are important for career advancement and it is therefore important to develop your leadership skills to ensure success in your chosen career. Career advancement decisions by top management for employees are often based on the leadership skills the employee in question exhibits.
What Determines a Good Leader?
Being a good leader is not only about assigning tasks to the team. A good leader inspires team members to reach their full potential, not only through words, but through action as well. If you want team members to follow you, you need to prove to them you are someone they can respect, an individual with a clear sense of direction.
Tips on How to Develop Your Leadership Skills
- Solicit Feedback: You must know how people experience your management style. Get feedback from your team members, both positive and negative. Feedback from your team will allow you to analyse your strenghts and weaknesses. YOu are then able to work on your weaknesses and build on your strengths.
- Listen: Many people think good leadership is based on their ability to talk and issue commands. However, this is a misconception. Good leadership starts with good listening skills. Ask your team members about their ideas. By listening to them, you can combine their ideas in order to come up with an excellent plan. Furthermore, listening to them will boost the confidence of your team members, allowing them to deliver quality work.
- Always Speak With a Positive Tone: Since the role of the leader is to encourage team members, you need to make sure that you will always speak in a positive tone. Rephrase their words if you have to. Any negative thoughts coming from you will discourage your team members, which can affect the quality of their work.
- Learn to Trust Your Team Members: To ensure good team work, you need to respect and trust your team’s capabilities. There are times when your team members will make their own decisions without consulting you. Do not be wary of this, but instead praise them on their initiative.
- Lead By Your Actions: Actions speak louder than words. Therefore you need to allign you actions with your words and vice versa. If your team members see you are working the hardest, they are likely to follow their leader’s example and help you achieve the goal.
- Share Your Leadership: You do not have to handle the entire leadership task on your own. You can delegate some of the tasks to your team members based on their strengths. You will be a better leader if you share your leadership with others.
- Develop the Skills of Your Team Members: It also important that you help your team members to develop their skills. After all, your role as a leader is to improve your team’s performance. By improving the skills of your team members, they will perform better in the workplace.
Seek the Help of Career Advice Companies
True, you can learn leadership and management skills through experience. However, you can develop them much faster by hiring the services of career management companies. They can help you develop the skills that you need for a successful career, as well as to teach you how to fulfill your leadership role. They will also explain to you the different management roles that you need fill as a team leader including outplacement management.
Do you want to succeed in your career?
If you do, then be a leader.